Thursday, June 17, 2010

VICTORY

Idol - " 1 : a representation or symbol of an object of worship; broadly : a false god
2 a : a likeness of something b obsolete : pretender, impostor
3 : a form or appearance visible but without substance
4 : an object of extreme devotion ; also : ideal 2
5 : a false conception : fallacy" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idol

"But their idols are silver and gold made by the hands of men. They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes but they cannot see; they have ears, but cannot hear, noses but they cannot smell; they have hands, but cannot feel, feet, but they cannot walk; nor can they utter a sound with their throats. Those who make them will be like them and so will all who trust in them." Psalm 115:4-8

Tonight, I literally destroyed one of my lifetime struggles/idols. A SCALE. For years, I obsessed over appearance, weight and food. It consumed my life. I believed that my addiction would satisfy my needs and fill my life with joy, confidence, peace, etc. However, it never did and never will. Instead, it gave me years of emptiness and hopelessness. Just like God's truth says, I became my idol. I lost all interest in life and could barely function, not only was my health fading but so was my spirit. I was no longer living, but merely existing. I was dying inside and out. I realize my idol is extreme and most people can't relate to an addiction, however, anything we put before God is an idol. Appearance, jobs, money relationships, etc, anything we seek for satisfaction and contentment other than God is an idol.

"Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness"
Psalm 115:1

"You who fear him, trust in the Lord - he is their help and shield" Psalm 115:1

"The highest of heavens belong to the Lord but the earth he has give to man. It is not the dead, who praise the Lord, those who go down to silence; it is we who extol the Lord both now and forevermore. Praise the Lord." Psalm 115:16-18

I can't overcome idols by my own strength, I've tried and fail miserably every time. Thankfully, I have the ultimate Father who is full "Love" and "Faithfulness", I have a "shield" and "help"!!! I fail everyday in some way or another, I am consumed with sin. Praise be to God, He ALONE is my strength. Any victory in my life is because of Him!

What are idol are you serving? Are you living or dying, are you going down in silence?





No comments:

Post a Comment