Monday, November 1, 2010

Inspired.

I haven't posted in a while and I think its because I've lacked inspiration on something to write about. So many great great things have happened in the past few months, I am so blessed and am loving life. Boyfriend, new friends, rekindling old friendships, new roomies, travels home, school, new job, etc....I couldn't be more content. No, every thing's not perfect, there has been the rough moments, but I can't complain...The bad always challenges and pushes me to be a better person. So, whats brought this new post?! I've been inspired.

Eating disorders. They're everywhere. An estimated 10 million women and 1 million men in the United States struggle with an eating disorder. 42% of 1-3rd grade girls want to be thinner and 81% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat. Eating disorders have the highest premature fatality rate out of all mental illnesses. Four out of ten Americans have either suffered or have known someone who has suffered from an eating disorder. (www.nationaleatingdisorders.org) It never fails that when I tell someone I've struggled with an eating disorder, the person I'm talking to reveals that they have also or that they know someone who has/still does. It blows my mind that such a terrible disease is so common and has almost become a normal acceptable behavior/addiction. But then again, its not too shocking with society's emphasis on image and false definition of beauty, the 100's of diets and exercise programs, media, etc. There's also the huge fact that most eating disorders are used as a way to cope, control, an identity, a way to find security, avoid, numb out, find a voice, make a statement.
Struggling with an eating disorder myself, I can relate to all these factors and am so thankful I've found truth and a healthier way to live. I have years of therapy, treatment facilities, friends, family and most importantly God to thank for my recovery. Yes, that's so great, but what about the people who don't have the opportunity to go to therapy and don't have a circle of support? I take for granted of the knowledge and tools that 8 years of counseling has ingrained in my head. I want to share the truth that others shared to me, I want to help, I want to make a difference! Here's the humbling part, its not about me and what I can do, its about God and what He's doing. I am merely a human full of sin. Any good comes from Him.

So, whether it's eating disorder related or not, future posts will be truth related : )!
 I painted this after the first time I got out of treatment in 2006. I think it shows just how emotionally, physically, and mentally consuming eating disorders really are.





No comments:

Post a Comment